Grr…I’m feeling a little grumpy because this is the second version of this post since the first was somehow deleted 😦
I did a similar post awhile back but of course it’s great to have a variety of snacks you can cycle through. That way no one gets bored and we always have healthy options to snack on between meals. Our diet has changed quite a bit recently too so I’ve had to search and search for new snacking options. Here are some delicious snacks that have come out of our kitchen recently.
The first two came out of a cookbook called Special Diets for Special Kids. It has grain-free, casein free recipes that are geared towards kids. I’m trying to slowly move towards a grain-free diet for Dieter (we’ve already made the switch for the most part) but it’s hard when your child loves tortilla chips and crackers.
Coconut Date Balls
- 11⁄2 cups pitted dates
- 3⁄4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1⁄4 cups finely shredded, dried coconut
- Put the dates in a blender or food processor and process them until they form a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and form into balls. Roll in additional coconut and store, covered in the refrigerator.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 cup salsa (mild or medium)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients. For a smooth dip put them in a blender or food processor. For a chunky dip leave as is! Use as a dip for tortilla chips and fresh veggies.
Dried bananas and apples…I just bought a food dehydrator for $25 on Craigslist and I love it! I’ve been drying fruit to add to nuts for a simple trail mix. Next I’m going to try homemade beef jerky, yummy!
Paleo Granola…I still have not gotten tired of this recipe and I make it a lot.
And a delicious “cheesecake” for a special occasion…
Three more posts and I’ll be writing my 100th blog post…wow, it only took me 2 and a half years!